Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Decade

June 2010 passed without fanfare and sometime in July I realised that the tenth anniversary of my father's death had slipped by without a thought.

I wasn't so shocked that I had not celebrated or mourned the event, moreover a slight chill at ten years of my life passing by, along with everyone else on the planet, ten years, wow.

I had chipped a tooth on my short visit to the UK when dad died, a daily reminder of a week that was full of emotion and nostalgia, a house trapped in aspic in North Wales with thousands of the tiny things that made up who my mum and dad had been, a house full of memories with, sadly, no-one to share besides the two brothers who sorted through the bricks to arrange the funeral.

Mum was still alive though, yet she was trapped in her own world of disjointed and fabricated memories, something that during that week of mourning provided a silver lining as her partner of over fifty years was laid to rest.

This may seem like a sad entry to the blog, but it is not, I run my tongue across my chipped tooth and memories flood back of that week, the kindness and cooperation of people who were involved in the funeral preparations and a commitment from two taxi driver's sons to "keep more in touch" which was a promise, on ten years reflection, that has been kept very well.

No comments: